The Fair Trade Sustainability Alliance (FairTSA) is a non-profit organization specializing in fair trade and social responsibility standard development, ethical supply chain management and accountable, sustainable community development. We are the only Fair Trade standard holder with an "open" certification system, meaning that every certifier who is interested in working with our standard can do so, provided that they comply with our basic requirements:
- Carrying ISO 65 accreditation and working under ISO 65 guidelines for FairTSA certification
- Open to independent FairTSA audits for both certifiers and their clients certified under the FairTSA standard
- Training of all inspectors and certification reviewers under the FairTSA training program
- Incorporating FairTSA supplied documentation such as the FairTSA System Plan, Inspection Report and other documents in their certification process.
Setting up the program in this way ensures utmost sytem transparency and strict separation of standard setting and certification functions.
Currently, we work with eight certifiers from 4 different continents:
- Agreco GmbH
- BCS Ökogarantie
- Biocert India Ltd
- California Certified Organic Farmers (CCOF)
- Ceres GmbH
- QC&I GmbH
- NASAA Ltd
Furthermore, we are committed to fostering equivalency among Fair Trade programs. We are currently working on our first project with the EcoSocial standard of the Instituto Biodinamico (IBD) of Brazil, and we are open for discussions with all players that take Fair trade seriously.
Sustainable Community Development is our passion: FairTSA ensures that the community development associated with its work is accountable and sustainable. To this end, FairTSA has developed its own community development training program and leverages certifiers' networks, qualified indigenous personnel, and collaborating NGOs to support producer communities in their efforts to create decent living conditions while empowering them through the democratic process.